Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Looking back to 2012, forward to 2013

Of the many post ideas back-logged in my head, I wanted to recap the past year and perhaps look forward to the new year before making it out of January. For me, 2012 was a busy year in which I
  • Became a dad.
  • Defended my Ph.D. dissertation.
  • Dropped 20 pounds to 18% body fat, BMI 23.
  • Bicycled 2300 miles, ran another 160 or so.
  • Published 2 papers and a book chapter.
  • Continued RTEMS involvement as an admin and mentor for GSOC and GCI.
  • Went on a Caribbean cruise.
  • Bought my first car, a minivan.
  • Repaired/Improved my house: foundation crack sealed, water line repaired, water line replaced, water heater replaced, roof repairs, HVAC heat pump and blower replaced, ventilation ducts cleaned, and kitchen cabinets refaced.
For 2013 some of my goals, resolutions, and expectations are to
  • Turn 30. Done!
  • Get a job. Done, more on that soon.
  • Publish more.
  • Get more research funding.
  • Read more.
  • Learn a new (non-programming) language, probably ASL or suomi.
  • Continue RTEMS involvement.
  • Resume regular exercise. I cut way back after my daughter was born.
  • Finish a century ride, solo or supported. Current best: 88 miles.
  • Finish a half-marathon, solo or organized. Current best: 8 miles.
  • Take up swimming.
  • Go on a family vacation.
  • Build a "front porch."
  • Construct a new cat tower.
  • Get rid of stuff.
  • Be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment